Friday, May 3, 2013

Tire test

We like tires here. We geek out about them a lot! Consider how important they are to they performance of youre bike and how it feels.We can talk width, heights, threads per inch and even tread patterns. And when you do consider all of those things it tends to boil down to a few select tires.
I have always been a Vittoria guy as have many of my coworkers. Rubino and Pave for training and corsa cx for racing/ fast summer time riding. They have a "feel" to them that no other tire that I have ridden seems to be able to match. They may not have the grip or outright speed as a lot of other newer tires but a vittoria in 25c is so nice to ride.Which brings us to the point of this post and review. It was recently time for me to get a new set of summer tires. And  I found myself unusually uncertain about what to get. The Continental  tires rep had been in recently and I have to say I was impressed with what he showed us.So I drank the Kool-aid and bought some to try out for the benefit of all of you readers. Had nothing to do with me.
So I have been riding these tires for about 2 weeks now. I mounted what Continental calls a "Tire System" which comprises of a 22mm front attack and a 24 mm rear force tire. Total weight for the set is a low 363 grams. I have ridden them for a couple weeks now in both commuting and some fast group rides. And my goodness do they grip! They are just so stable and sticky even in very fast and somewhat unsettled changes of direction. And if you get youre PSI right they have a pleasent ride as well. BUT....and its a full well rounded but. They just dont have the sweet suppleness of a corsa cx. Yes they are much faster and they may have a bit more grip in them( and longer life is also possible). But I think if i had my choice I would take the Vittoria's anyday.  Which is funny because the company moto is " The choice!". And their
right.

No comments:

Post a Comment