Monday, February 18, 2013

I like riding the trainer.

I know thats not something that most people can relate to me on but its true. I think ist because I take a slightly different approach to how to use it. Instead of trying to ride it for 120-160 minutes to keep a base fitness through the winter which is terribly dull and unpleasant, I  instead focus on very short, high intensity workouts. I use them to increase lactic threshold and and working heart rate. I essentially replicate the work load of a short fast race on the trainer in 45-60 minutes. And let me tell you the time flies!
Heres an example of a trainer ride that will kick youre butt and will be over very quickly:
-Start with 15 minute warm up at a comfortable pace( heart rate at 40-50%)
-Move to 3x30 second one leg pedals( one leg in the cleat one leg out. focus on spinning youre crank as smoothly as possible) 30 seconds each leg then switch. 3 times each leg.
 - Continue spinning for another 5 minutes for rest
-3x 2 minute SSI( go longer if youre fitness is better). Begin by picking a gear that is hard to turn but not impossible to get "on top of" within 8-10 pedal strokes. The goal is to maintain a steady hard working tempo   through out the full 2 minutes.Heart rate should be between 80-90 percent of max. Rest 3 minutes between each rep. and remember to hydrate
- Finish with a 10 minute cool down and easy spin.
Let me know if you have questions!

In other news... Im a huge motogp fan. And this year is shaping up to be one of the most exciting racing season in a long time. Valentino Rossi returns to Yamaha after 2 years ( 2 very unsuccessful years) at Ducati.
This is exciting because his greatest  rival, Jorge Lorenzo ( and reigning world champ) is his team mate.And in case you dont know thew last time these 2 raced on the same team it was one of the most competitive and exciting rivalries I have ever seen. My cheers are for Rossi. Stay tuned for motogp updated through out the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment